The Buena Vista Public Library seeks a customer service expert to link guests to its public resources, including books, movies, databases, digital content, computers, and programs. This 18-24 hour part-time position will include some closing and Saturday shifts. Duties include assisting patrons with reference requests, readers advisory, digital content access, checkout and check in of materials, account assistance, and participating in planning and implementation of programs. Library, public service, or customer experience preferred. Apply by providing a resume, cover letter, and references to Director, PO BOX 2019, Buena Vista CO 81211 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Info & Requirements
1. Promotes and practices the Vision and Mission of BVPL and upholds foundational principles of the library and information profession.
2. Provide excellent customer service, greet every guest and provide directional assistance.
3. Build and maintain positive working relationships with library staff and community members.
4. Enforce the library’s policies and procedures, while safeguarding confidential and restricted information, both patron information and information related to personnel and pending organization changes. Complies with laws governing patron privacy, confidentiality CRS24-90-119 and ALA Code of Ethics.
5. Explain library circulation policies and procedures to patrons;
6. Assist patrons with library catalog, computer, printer, and/or other equipment needs;
7. Verify registration information; issue library cards; collect fines and fees per established library policy;
8. Respond to customer requests for information and materials in-person, by email and by telephone;
9. Set up circulation desk for daily activities; prepare cash drawer and desk supplies as needed;
10. Follow established procedures for securely closing the library after established closing time;
11. Process returned materials; examine items for damages; sort and shelve materials; prepare materials for courier;
12. Promptly read and respond to email; communicate updates and feedback with other staff; contribute to discussions and planning for library best practices and services;
13. Provide readers advisory to guests using local lists, online resources, and other appropriate tools;
14. Connect guests to physical and digital resources; assist guests in digital provider account registration, set up and downloads.
15. Promote library services through in-house and digital promotions;
16. Assist in reporting of statistics, cataloging materials, and maintenance of collection;
17. Plan and implement library programming;
18. Review materials and recommend collection additions and deletions;
19. Guide volunteers in tasks;
20. Maintain orderly individual and shared workspaces;
21. Adhere to appropriate standards of dress and behavior;
22. Completes special assignments related to Library operations as directed.
This employee has the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Mastery of the library's automated circulation system.
• Knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of public library service, including current trends and developments.
• Seeks training and professional opportunities to further library development, including reading of professional literature, webinars, workshops and conferences as applicable.
• Ability to provide outstanding customer service in person, on the telephone, and via e-mail and other forms of electronic communication.
• Problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Digital literacy proficiency, including solid knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
• Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English.
• Ability to effectively multitask while maintaining a positive attitude.
• Ability to deal calmly and effectively with a wide range of individuals, in some instances under stressful or emergency conditions.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
· On a continuous basis, stand and/or walk for long periods of time. Intermittently twist and reach materials: bend, stoop, crouch, kneel;
· Extend arms above the shoulder to reach and retrieve books and materials from shelves; grasp books and materials; lift materials and supplies which may weigh up to 40 pounds;
· Use phone system; write or use keyboard to communicate through written means;
· Visual acuity to read print and digital materials of various font size.
· Hearing acuity to answer phones and respond to patron verbal requests.
· Work is frequently disrupted by the need to respond to in-person and telephone inquiries;
· Work is performed indoors in an air-conditioned office environment with fluorescent lighting and moderate noise level. There is some exposure to outside atmospheric conditions when supporting off-site programming and maintaining book drop.
Education and Experience:
• A high school diploma, or equivalent is required; successful completion of some college level course work is preferred.
• Library, public service or education experience preferred.
Note: This job description is not an employment contract. The Library Board of Trustees and/or its designated representative reserve the right to alter this job description at any time without notice. Any employment relationship with the Library is legally considered to be one of employment-at-will, in which either party may terminate this relationship for any reason at any time.
Employment is subject to a background check, employment history verification and reference checks.
The Buena Vista Public Library (Northern Chaffee County Library District) serves the residents and guests of the Town of Buena Vista and the northern portion of Chaffee County, nestled in the Arkansas River Valley, surrounded by picturesque mountains and rock formations. The total service area of 8,000+ residents relies on the library as a hub for gathering, entertainment, resources and programming.
Send resume, cover letter and references to Director: PO Box 2019, Buena Vista, CO 81211 or email to email@example.com.