Pikes Peak Library District
20 N Cascade Ave, Colorado Springs
Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing specialized subject matter expertise and participating in targeted activities for the strategically identified area of business.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Establishes and maintains district-wide partnerships with local organizations serving the strategic focus; serves on boards and committees as the PPLD representative.
- Represents the Library at community events, speaking engagements, programs, and area expos; creates engaging displays to promote strategic services in the community.
- Proposes, plans, and implements topical programming at library locations and throughout the community.
- Provides expert level assistance and information about their specialized service area; assists customers with an advanced level of assistance in finding materials or online information, technology support, and community resources. Responds to district-wide requests for assistance from staff and customers.
- Provides support for library staff when working with customers in the defined strategic populations; meets with staff regularly to determine evolving needs and interests, makes suggestions for promotion and programming, and provides training.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all customer and staff interactions; models exemplary customer service behaviors for library staff.
- Recommends and manages the strategic program budget.
- Compiles and reports usage and program statistics for the Library District; may provide administrative oversight for grant implementation and reporting.
- Evaluates the level and quality of the assigned strategic service at each PPLD location and district-wide; makes recommendations for materials in all formats, equipment, and policy changes.
- Provides work direction for assigned projects; provides guidance and training to other staff.
- May act as person-in-charge as assigned; assumes responsibility for safe and effective operation of the library; ensures that security and safety reports are completed accurately and submitted as required.
- Provides specialized subject matter expertise in strategic area for customers as they visit the library, call on the telephone, or communicate in a virtual environment.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Provides leadership for specialized projects, grant requests, services, programs and activities related to the strategic assignment; serves on project teams or committees.
- Takes classes, reads professional literature, and attends programs or conferences to maintain expertise.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of library trends, processes and best practices.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge in the area of strategic assignment.
- Demonstrates ability to apply standard research methods to gather information on current topics of professional interest.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with customers, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates commitment to principles of intellectual freedom and all aspects of customer diversity.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, ILS system, along with standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires an MLS or MLIS degree.
2. Requires a minimum of three years of library experience.
3. Experience in working with the strategic population and/or college coursework in that discipline is preferred.
4. Bilingual ability is a plus for this position and in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Position requires the ability to push a loaded book truck.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
LOCATION: 20 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
STARTING WAGE: $25.75 per hour + full benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week with the following schedule:
Monday – Friday : 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
May work occasional evenings and weekends for programs and other library requirements
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380.
CLOSING DATE: Preference for application materials received by July 29, 2020 at 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-Verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
(719) 531-6333, x6380