Cumberland County Public Library & Information Center
|SALARY:||$43,009.80 to $ $44,079.00 Annually|
|This position is being reposted and previous applicants do not need to apply again to be considered.|
Master of Library Science degree (MLS) and two years of professional librarian experience required.
MLS professional librarian experience in a public library preferred; experience with genealogy and/or family history research resources and methods preferred; experience with archives and preservation of documents is preferred; six months supervisory experience preferred.
Trainee applicants must have at least 12 months experience as a MLS professional librarian in a public library
|CONDITIONS:||Selected applicant must have access to transportation and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. Within 60 days of hire, must obtain and show proof of a valid NC Driver’s License and must maintain an acceptable driving record while employed; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.|
An employee in this position is responsible for the overall supervision of the Local and State History Department, including management of the collection, and supervision, training, and scheduling of staff in the Local and State History department. Co-coordinates the supervision, training, and scheduling of IS staff for general information services. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Headquarters Services Manager. This position regularly acts as Person in Charge in the absence of the Headquarters Services Manager.
· Provides in-depth genealogy and/or family history research services for the public. Orients and instructs the public and staff in the use of the library’s online public access catalog.
· Supervises, trains, evaluates, and schedules Local & State History and information services staff to ensure policies and procedures are followed, customers are given efficient, prompt, and competent assistance, and pleasant working conditions are maintained.
· Develops and conducts adult programs through the Adult Programming Council. Works with the Librarian II Youth Services to coordinate curriculum-based programming for school visits.
· Develops and presents proscribed training for the system at all eight branch locations to ensure the library’s continued delivery of fast, efficient, and accurate reference services through print and electronic resources. Works with the Training Coordinator to develop and schedule training.
· Oversees collection development work and purging of obsolete and/or worn materials for the assigned areas within the facility. Selects and recommends for purchase printed, audiovisual and electronic material in assigned subject areas to develop and maintain for public use under the direction of the Division Manager for Collection Development.
· Supervises and assists with the development of finding aids to encourage and help the public find needed information in print and electronic formats.
· Supervises facility staff and operations in the absence of the manager.
· Researches, identifies, develops and prepares proposals and applications for public and private grant opportunities under the direction of the Division Manager for Public Services.
· Assesses Local and State History collections to recommend resources for digitization projects. Coordinates the digitization process with outside agencies.
· Discusses with supervisor work methods, problems, short and long range developments and/or plans.
· Participates in appropriate councils and committees, making recommendations for system-wide policies and procedures.
· Provides in-depth reader’s advisory services to the public.
· Oversees the Local and State History web page on the library’s website. Actively serves on the Web Team.
· Compiles, prepares and maintains reports, records, statistics and budget information for the assigned department.
· Evaluates services, programming, and materials collection for assigned department to ensure compliance with library’s five year plan.
· Works in collaborative efforts with other community agencies.
· Maintains awareness of library trends in the delivery of services.
· Reviews the Local and State History Scope of Collection statement and updates as needed under the direction of the Division Manager for Public Services.
|APPLY BY:||Open until filled|
|TO APPLY:||We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm|
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
|FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:||Contact the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at |
(910) 323-6100 or email email@example.com
Library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/content/employment-opportunities
Cumberland County, located in the heart of North Carolina, offers a mixture of cultural diversity and southern hospitality. In addition to a dynamic award-winning library system, Winner of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, our area has a beautiful climate, cultural activities, dining and shopping, recreation, golf, and nightlife.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Cumberland County Human Resources Department, Trina Whitfield (910) 323-6100