Overview: The Events & Hospitality Assistant coordinates and supports externally-booked room reservations at Douglas County Libraries (DCL). This service-oriented position works directly with external customers providing satisfaction from planning and room reservation services to on-site event coordination. This intrinsically-motivated role executes logistics, facilitates technology and audio/visual services, and acts as a DCL host for community customers during the event.
Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values: It is an expectation of each employee to live and exemplify Douglas County Libraries, Brand, Culture and Values.
Position Specific Competencies:
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Productive Work Habits: The extent to which the overall work style is effective and productive in terms of time management, setting objectives and priorities, and following up on commitments across a variety of work challenges.
- Problem Solving: Uses logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at first answers.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
- Assists with coordinating and planning external customer meetings and events, and provides back-up support to the Events and Hospitality Department Head.
- Manages time and projects effectively, allowing for errors and problems to be resolved, thereby ensuring each event is properly set up, technology is functional, special requests are fulfilled, and the overall delivery of an event exceeds customer expectations.
- Develops a familiarity with each DCL branch, anticipating and remediating idiosyncrasies of each building, room and space, including elevator systems, lock systems, door entries, parking, and floor plans. Takes ownership of safety and security at each DCL Branch outside normal business hours.
- Defines and understands multiple tiers of services available for clients and events.
- Serves as event liaison, coordinating event logistics before, during, and after event. Understands and anticipates customer needs.
- Creates positive experiences for customers by effectively and efficiently performing job tasks; presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
- Transports and displays event decorations and specialized equipment for birthday parties and other events
- Demonstrates a professional, positive, cooperative, team-oriented working relationship with staff, coworkers, and volunteers.
- Collaborates and coordinates volunteers for games and programs at birthday parties and other events.
- Cordially and professionally greets and hosts guests, anticipates needs, and ensures complete guest satisfaction.
- Serves as on-site host the entirety of event length, actively looking for ways to improve event and help people, and checking in with customers periodically to ensure event success.
- At event’s conclusion, facilitates room clean up, resets furniture to original floorplan, and coordinates cleaning with Porter to ensure room is ready for use.
- Builds and maintains strong interpersonal relationships with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources.
- Communicates using excellent verbal and written skills to facilitate transparent flow of information to internal and external customers.
- Identifies complex problems and evaluates options to resolve problems and remediate conflict.
- Maintains databases, filing system and organizational calendar. Documents processes and recommends improvements.
- Provides excellent, responsive customer service to community customers via telephone and through the online registration process, collecting accurate information, telephone inquiries, written correspondence, and drafting event contracts. Acts and responds in a consistent, timely manner with every customer.
- Assists with daily branch use of civic spaces including on-site room reservations, site/branch calendar maintenance, and communication regarding daily hosted events.
- Represents DCL and works at signature events.
- Performs other work duties as assigned.
- Maintains expert knowledge and use of computers, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Apple and PCs. Experience with software systems including room-floorplan, room-reservation, facility rentals, event assignment, customer/contract/proposal system, and other industry-related software. Ability to learn new technology that is introduced in the industry and the organization, as needed.
Experience and Qualifications: Read, write and speak English required. Bachelor or Associates degree in Hospitality, Event Management, Marketing, or related field is preferred. Previous administrative support or customer service experience is required. Valid Colorado Driver’s License, good driving record and a reliable vehicle to travel to a variety of Douglas County locations. A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer stations for extended periods. Access and transport materials up to 50 pounds. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.