The Redwood Library & Athenaeum is searching for a collaborative, flexible, motivated librarian with experience cataloging for a position as full-time Technical Services Librarian. This position oversees the cataloging, physical processing and preservation of library materials. They will be tasked with inputting data about materials into the electronic catalog using appropriate standards and preparing bibliographic and item records for monographs, journals and other library material. This position will also be responsible for coordinating the library’s interlibrary loan service and providing system support to all library staff. Additional duties will include supporting other library staff with reference appointments, exhibit installation, collection development, and other projects as needed. The library is looking for a self-starter interested in working in a position with training potential in a variety of related domains including programming, exhibition curation, etc.
• Categorize and classify library materials, including books, CDs, films, newspapers, or other documents following library standards and guidelines.
• Utilize rules of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR), Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress subject headings, MARC21 to catalog materials.
• Ensure all materials can be retrieved conveniently using standardized methods.
• Perform original and copy cataloging and adapt online records according to guidelines in all subject areas and languages; input details about new material into the catalog.
• Participate in database maintenance and quality control in integrated library system.
• Organize backlogs of materials according to highest priority.
• Operate and maintain library systems software to assist library staff and users, identifying and correcting reported issues, and providing system support to all staff.
• Communicate with library services vendors to complete orders, seek assistance with services, request explanations of procedures, and resolve issues and errors.
• Coordinate incoming/outgoing interlibrary loan (ILL) requests with OCLC Worldshare and through the Rhode Island public library system.
• Interface with Library of Rhode Island (LORI) and Office of Library & Information Services (OLIS) to maintain eligibility and certification for Rhode Island and interstate delivery service.
• Perform in-person and virtual reference services using analog and virtual resources.
• Assist with exhibit installation in the Peirce Prince Gallery and vitrines as needed.
• Contribute to the selection, acquisition, and informational dissemination of new books.
• Perform other related duties as required.
MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
Knowledge of general library practices and procedures
Experience cataloging materials in MARC using AACR
Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form
Comfortable learning and using emerging technologies
Flexibility and ability to prioritize competing demands
Knowledge of special collections best practices in book handling and rare book cataloging strongly preferred
Experience with rare book cataloging strongly preferred
Applicants should send a cover-letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.