Are you a dynamic leader who values wide-open spaces and small-town charm? Then look no further than this opportunity on the Western Slope of Colorado; where your vision and strategic-thinking will guide the future of a district with five libraries in rural communities; where your strength in building relationships will connect the libraries to the communities they serve; where you will find yourself at the helm of an innovative team in your role as District Director of Delta County Libraries.
The District Director is the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer for the District. As the CEO/CFO the District Director is therefore responsible for all functions related to the operation of the District, including the five libraries (Cedaredge, Crawford, Delta, Hotchkiss, & Paonia). These responsibilities include:
- Management of library operations and the hiring, training, and supervision of library personnel in an environment based on an organizational culture of service and commitment to information.
- Being a “Public Face” for the District and a partner in community projects.
- Engaging in cooperative relationships/networking with other libraries/districts, library professionals, and community organizations/leaders to best serve the needs of the District.
- Guide the strategic planning process of the Board of Trustees, based on needs of the public, to provide the District with the proper facilities, services and programs today and in the future.
- Management of District resources and annual budget resulting in fiscal operations that are conducted and managed in accordance with the Board direction and established accounting standards.
- An understanding of Colorado Tax District laws, including the effects of TABOR (1992).
- Knowledge of the way technology is quickly changing District services.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- A thorough knowledge of the modern library, including the standards of the profession—library principles, practices and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of management principles and practices as they apply to the administration of libraries.
- The ability to plan, organize, develop, and implement a comprehensive and coordinated library services programs.
- The ability to motivate and supervise employees, including professional, paraprofessional, and clerical people, including volunteers, that maximizes performance, good morale, and the feeling of being a team.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with employees, board members, governmental officials, organizations, peers, and the public, to further the needs of the District.
- The ability to present effectively both in-person and using technology, including the composition of documents.
The District Trustees believe that the District Director must be innovative in the planning, execution, and management of the Delta County Public Library District as the “view” and manner in which libraries serve the public change. An understanding of both the Gallagher Act (1982) and Tabor Amendment (1992) are therefore critical to the ability of the District to navigate public needs, thus the ideal District Director would be well-versed in Colorado Statues pertaining to library districts.
An important document about the position can be found here: District Director Description
Additional Info & Requirements
Master’s Degree and five years of experience in libraries, with three years in supervisorial capacity.
Masters of Library Science from an ALA accredited institution and more than nine years of post-masters public library experience, with at least five years in supervisorial capacity.
Welcome to the Western Slope! The Delta County Public Library District, headquartered in Hotchkiss, Colorado, is at one edge of the West Elk Loop and includes five (5) libraries, one each in the communities of Delta, Cedaredge, Crawford, Hotchkiss, and Paonia. Each library has unique beginnings, with all the communities eventually banding together to create a taxing district. Delta County has a population of about 30,000 people, with a circulation of 198,308 (2019). Delta County is largely rural, with farming, ranching, coal mining, and tourism as the primary sources of employment.
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings
- Application deadline is February 1, 2021. Application materials received after the deadline may be considered if the position has not been filled.
- Provide a letter of application, professional resume, letters of references (3), and transcripts supporting degree requirements. Additional supporting information, including additional references may be solicited upon selection of finalists.
- Submit materials online at www.deltalibraries.org/district-director/.
HR Contact Information
Delta County Public Library District
Attention: Jess F. Deegan II, DCPLD—Vice President
PO Box 540
Hotchkiss, CO 81419