POSITION SUMMARY: Lead successful planning, implementation, execution, and evaluation of all marketing communication for Pikes Peak Library District (PPLD) to achieve its mission and goals. Provide strategic direction and oversight for advertising, marketing, promotion, and public/media relations, as well as daily management for marketing staff.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Direct and motivate staff who oversee advertising, brand alignment, digital marketing, graphic design, photography, projects, program promotion, signage, and video production; offer guidance and support with daily work while ensuring strong coordination and communication across team.
- Develop and manage all marketing communication strategies, plans, budgets, and work processes, as well as metrics and key performance indicators, in conjunction with marketing team.
- Drive decision-making, planning, implementation, execution, and evaluation of public relations and marketing for library services, resources, and facilities.
- Collaborate with peers, along with other internal and external stakeholders, to ensure strong relationships and strategic alignment; share data, insights, best practices, and recommendations to inform future planning and success for key initiatives, programs, events, and partnerships.
- Serve as primary spokesperson and media contact for District promotion and education; pitch news stories, respond to requests, and coordinate interviews; cultivate and manage relationships with local, regional, and national outlets; and handle staff media training.
- Spearhead PR/marketing initiatives and campaigns to support departmental and organizational goals; evaluate efforts, target audiences, and emerging trends to inform future endeavors.
- Oversee management of all marketing communication assets and channels, such as earned media, email marketing, paid advertising, print collateral, signage and promotional displays, social media, storytelling, videography, photography, and websites.
- Serve as Managing Editor of all District-wide publications and collateral, such as PPLD’s quarterly magazine, annual report, and booklets; lead such projects throughout lifecycle, as well as contribute to copywriting and editing.
- Serve as steward of PPLD’s brand standards and style guide; ensure cohesiveness and consistency of branding and messaging across all communication assets and channels of PPLD.
- Oversee key vendor relationships and contracts managed by marketing team members, such as for media monitoring, paid advertising, and digital and email marketing.
- Hire, train, and coach marketing staff; provide ongoing feedback, mentorship, and performance management, as well as support individual staff development.
- Support Chief Communications Officer with high-level planning, research, and analysis regarding strategic plans and budgets, public perception, audience segmentation, customer journeys, brand positioning, and thought leadership.
- Lead day-to-day operations of department in absence of Chief Communications Officer.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Keep informed about library and department information; maintain active knowledge of current activities and strategic initiatives across the District.
- Represent PPLD at public events and meetings, as well as participate in community presentations and other speaking engagement opportunities when needed and available.
- Analyze data, as well as prepare monthly reports, for marketing communications.
- Serve as role model for staff; maintain courteous, positive image of the Library.
- Participate in special projects as assigned, including initiatives, campaigns, and/or events.
- Encourage staff participation and engage in professional development and educational opportunities from community and professional organizations to internal committees and teams.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled all-staff meetings.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of PPLD’s policies and procedures, with ability to follow them and communicate them to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to act as spokesperson and brand ambassador of PPLD by promoting its mission and vision.
- Adept understanding of library services and departmental guidelines, standards, and priorities.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of public relations, marketing communications, branding, and reputation management, including best practices, innovative solutions, and emerging trends.
- Ability to lead brainstorming sessions and focus the work of creative staff, while motivating and empowering them to pursue new ideas, opportunities, and professional development.
- Exhibits leadership, sound judgment, and professional demeanor in all situations; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Known for identifying opportunities for collaboration and pursuing innovative solutions; needs to be able to merge disparate interests from various services and locations to achieve efficient results.
- Recognized as data-driven strategic planner and taskmaster of competing priorities; demonstrates strong project management that guides team in reaching goals and meeting deadlines in fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
- Exhibits excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including active listening and cooperation, with staff, media, partners, patrons, and vendors.
- Demonstrates superb public speaking and presentation skills, as well as excellent copywriting, editing, and proofreading skills; comfortable using AP Style.
- Ability to be responsive, adaptable, and supportive team player who values working in diverse environment with people of various backgrounds, perspectives, and cultures.
- Exhibits proficiency in using application software and other platforms, including but not limited to: Microsoft Office Suite, project management, social media, website, email marketing, graphic design, customer relationship management, and standard office equipment.
- Ability to work flexible schedule when needed; occasional early mornings, evenings, and weekend hours necessary for media interviews, events, and other library-related activities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Requires 5-7 years of professional experience in marketing, public relations, and/or branding, with a proven track record of leading successful initiatives and serving as an organizational spokesperson.
2. At least 1-2 years of staff supervision experience is preferred.
3. Requires a Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or related field.
4. Required for application: Resume, cover letter, and at least 3 relevant samples like a marketing/campaign plan, press release, and/or published article or column.
5. Master’s degree is preferred.
6. Previous experience working with public information in library or nonprofit setting is preferred.
7. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
8. Must have access to reliable transportation for local travel.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. The position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. It also requires local travel, as well as the ability to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
DATE: December 22, 2020.
LOCATION: 1175 Chapel Hills Dr, Colorado Springs, CO 80920
STARTING SALARY: $31.54 + full benefits (For details about benefits, see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week:
Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Early mornings, evenings, and weekends as needed.
Flexible scheduling is based on programs, events, and other Library requirements. This District-wide position may have occasional shifts at other PPLD locations. Early mornings, evenings, and weekends will be necessary on occasion for programs, events, and other Library requirements like media interviews.
Note: Regular schedule will be subject to changes due to programs, required meetings, training events, etc. Management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times, and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs on the “Application” tab.
2. Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. A resume and cover letter addressing why you would be a good fit for this position is required.
4. Three relevant samples of your work like a marketing/campaign plan, press release, and/or published article or column are also required.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531-6333, ext. 6380.
CLOSING DATE: This position will remain open until filled; preference given to applications received by Monday, January 11, 2021 by 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986) Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice, in accordance with Colorado law
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, genetic information, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
Soumya Gollapalli : email@example.com