Youth Services Librarian
Full-Time (40 hours per week) vacancy for an energetic, team-oriented Youth Services Librarian with a strong public service commitment.
The Jamestown Philomenian Library (JPL) is looking for an individual to run a busy Youth Services department on the island town of Jamestown, RI. JPL serves roughly 5,500 full and part-time residents (the population increases in the summer months).
This position will be responsible for working with the public and other library staff members to provide a wide range of services to children, tweens, teens, and caregivers.
This position reports to the Library Director.
· Plan, implement, and promote weekly story times and programs
· Choose materials for and lead monthly book clubs for different age groups (currently Grades 1-2, Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6, and Grades 7 and Up)
· Build and maintain an engaging collection of materials for ages 0-18 by evaluating reviews, patron requests and popular trends
· Plan, implement, promote, and report on the annual Summer Reading Program
· Provide reference and reader’s advisory in the active Children’s, YA and Tween areas, as well as electronically
· Keep information on the website up to date, including calendar and event entries for all youth services programs
· Possess knowledge of professional library work with a focus on children and youth
· Attend professional meetings, training, conferences and other professional development opportunities
· Work at general Circulation desk as needed
· Handle money
· Fulfill patron requests
· Open and close library
· Communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing, including through email
· Identify and translate child, tween and teen needs and interests into effective library services and programs
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, patrons, user groups, community organizations, volunteer groups, and to serve the public courteously
· Recognize and set priorities, and use initiative and independent judgement in a variety of situations
· Learn and stay current with emerging technology, including digital media
· Lift up to 25 lbs.
· Sit and stand for periods of time
· Use computers, telephones, copy machine/scanner
· Possess physical mobility involving bending, lifting, reading, and hearing
· ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies/Sciences
· One or more years of professional experience in a library setting, with supervisory or administrative experience preferred
· Experience working with youth (ages 0 to 18)
This is a permanent 40 hour per week position with benefits. The regular schedule includes days, at least one night per week, and 1-2 Saturdays per month. Salary commensurate with experience. The staff of the library has adapted to the changing needs of patrons during the pandemic and is searching for a candidate who is able to adjust easily as well. A major renovation is slated to begin within the next year.
Candidates asking to be considered for this position should email a cover letter, current resume, and three job references to Donna Fogarty, Library Director, email@example.com. Deadline for applications is January 15, 2021.
A small island community of roughly 5,500 residents, though the population swells in the summertime. There is one elementary school and one middle school. Youth go off island for high school.