Jackson County Library Services
$29.22 TO $36.60 PER HOUR
$60,785 TO $76,132
CLOSES JANUARY 20, 2021 – OPEN UNTIL FILLED
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a JCLS Application, Cover Letter and Resume. The JCLS Application can be found at https://jcls.org/jcld/employment These items must be turned in to the Human Resources Department no later than January 20, 2021 at Midnight PST.
Materials can be submitted by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates with complete materials and who meet the minimum qualifications of the position will be considered.
This position oversees both the Medford and the Central Point branch locations.
The Area Manager is responsible for overseeing strategic initiatives, innovation, and delivery of effective and efficient library services for assigned region. The Area Manager creates and maintains an enriching environment that promotes and sustains accountability, efficiencies, collaboration, continuous learning, and high-quality customer service. This position oversees the day-to-day operations of assigned branch(es) in its region and directly supervises a team of paraprofessional and professional staff. This position also provides leadership to staff throughout the library system to organize and promote excellence in community engagement efforts with the goal of creating a thriving library in its Jackson County community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participates in the development of district strategic plan and initiatives.
• Serves as primary liaison between library administration and assigned staff.
• Performs the duties of a branch manager for one of the branches in the region.
• Develops goals and strategies for the successful operation of district libraries that promote the district’s mission, values, and priorities.
• Hires, supervises, develops and leads a dynamic team of library staff who are responsible for services to the communities in the Jackson County Library District.
• Investigates and responds to citizen inquiries if/when complaints and concerns cannot be resolved at appropriate staff levels.
• Establishes means to ensure library activities are coordinated effectively among other departments, coordinators, managers, and supervisors.
• Works closely with appropriate managers and supervisors for effective use of measurements to monitor and assess the efficiency and effectiveness of library services.
• Provides clarification for policies, procedures, guidelines for JCLS staff and customers; provides direction as needed.
• Creates an environment where diverse views are welcomed and respected; facilitates productive and timely discussions that generate effective results.
• Assures that the library facilities are well maintained by successfully working with relevant library staff and with the Facilities Department on renovations, repairs, and purchases.
• Assists with the development, planning and implementation of JCLS short and long-term goals and objectives for library services and programs.
• Participates effectively as a member of the leadership team that provides district-wide management consistency.
• Assists in the preparation of JCLS’ annual budget, estimating service and resource needs based on current and future trends and activities.
• Seeks ways to gain efficiencies through ongoing review of all services and processing.
• Prepares a variety of effective reports and communications for the staff.
• Creates and presents effective prepared and impromptu presentations.
• Promotes continuous life-long learning at JCLS.
• Regular attendance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Print and electronic resources, including ready reference and collections for adults, teens, and children.
• Professional library principles, practices, techniques, and standards as they pertain to the delivery of public library services, proactive customer relationships, and confidentiality of information.
• Library/leadership trends and practices, including demonstrated expertise managing staff with a wide range of skills, knowledge, and abilities.
• Effective organizational, time management, project management, and problem-solving skills. Ability to work in a self-directed environment with minimal guidance.
• Demonstrated success building and maintaining excellent interpersonal relationships.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Managerial principles for the administration and organization of a complex multi-branch library system.
• District policies and procedures.
• Project management, administrative analysis, and report preparation.
• Effective measurement tools and systems.
• The role of a public library as an information agency and “third place” for the JCLS community.
• Budget preparation and monitoring mechanisms.
• PC applications for library operations including library software, word processing, spreadsheets, email, Internet, presentation software, and data management.
• Actively supports and respects diversity in the workplace.
1. Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from a ALA accredited institution, OR the equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the duties as described.
2. Three years of supervisory experience.
3. Demonstrated ability and experience to achieve library outcomes while effectively leading a team whose members have a wide range of skills, knowledge, abilities, and responsibilities.
4. Success in presenting oral and written material for a variety of situations.
5. Strong interpersonal skills.
Five years of supervisory experience.
• Criminal background check required.
• Must have valid driver’s license and required mandatory insurance when operating a privately-owned vehicle for business purposes.
• Must be able to travel to other locations to perform work, and/or attend work-related meetings, workshops or conferences.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is continuously required to communicate by talking and listening, use of fingers and hands, repetitive motion and sitting. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach, sit and feel. Occasionally bend, stoop, grasp and rarely to feel, kneel or crawl. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc., may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
Manual dexterity and coordination are required over [75%] of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment.
Travel to other district locations and/or to workshops/professional meetings/conferences.
This level has a work environment that is well protected, with virtually no hazards or obstacles. There is very little element of personal risk or hazard. Job conditions are stable, usually well managed, and very comfortable. Conditions may consist of the following:
● Reading for comprehension and direction (policies & procedures)
● Speaking to share, respond and maintain relationships or to convey instructions and/or direction
● Presenting to a wide range of ages and audiences to inspire lifelong learning
● Considerable cognitive process to make effective decisions for non-routine work
● Various equipment includes computers with a keyboard and mouse, telephone, and other electronic devices to share documents, information and discussion
● Deadlines and changing priorities with multiple demands on time
● Attendance at evening and weekend meetings and/or social/business events
● Available for emergencies and off-schedule contacts
This position is placed at range R on the JCLS salary schedule, and has a starting salary range of $29.22 to $32.48 per hour. The full salary range is $29.22 to $36.60 per hour and $60,785 to $76,132 per year. Placement on the salary schedule is based upon education and experience.
JCLS offers a competitive benefits package including 401(a), medical, dental and vision coverage to employees and qualified dependents. In addition, JCLS provides vacation, sick leave and paid holidays.
After the preliminary screening, selected candidates will be invited for an initial interview. Videoconference interviews (in lieu of an in-person initial interview) will be offered. Candidates to be interviewed will be selected from applicants who most closely meet the minimum and desired qualifications. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview.
JCLS reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely filling of the position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employees must satisfy all of the pre-employment requirements prior to appointment that include, but are not limited to; verification of their legal right to work in the United States, and a background check.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations in completing the application or the interview process must notify the Human Resources Department in advance.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
JCLS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment, of any type, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The organization employs affirmative personnel measures to ensure the achievement of equal employment opportunities in all aspects of employment, and the work environment. These policies of nondiscrimination will prevail throughout every aspect of the employment relationship, including recruitment, selection, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, training, and conflict resolution.
External Job Ad