Overview: The Customer Experience Associate performs customer service duties, assisting customers with self-directed activities, technology training, finding library materials, using the catalog, circulation assistance, readers’ advisory, and merchandising materials. This role serves as a first point of contact for customers. This position provides excellent customer service by actively building connections with guests and proactively serving a diverse population using our Roving Service model. Work is performed under general supervision.
Position Specific Competencies:
- Approachability: Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant, and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it.
- Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes fruitful sources for answers; looks beyond the obvious and does not stop at the first answers; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes and learns from both success and failures; experiments to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
- Peer Relationships: Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise. Seen as a team player and sets tone of cooperation; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can be candid with peers.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
- Greets customers as they arrive at the library, supporting DCL’s mission of providing customers with a consistent, exceptional experience. Demonstrates tact, professionalism, and hospitality in all guest interactions.
- Consistently demonstrates a courteous and helpful attitude to all customers in a variety of circumstances.
- Connects customers with other community resources as the opportunity arises.
- Provides technical assistance to customers with computers, eReaders, and smartphones. Additional technical abilities to assist with the Recording Studio, and audio/visual equipment in meeting rooms.
- Provides proactive solutions to questions, offers guidance to access additional resources, and makes recommendations for further reading and viewing material.
- Proficiently performs circulation functions including login, check-in, check-out, placing holds and trace functions, collecting fines, searching databases, customer registration, and issuing library cards. Adept at opening and closing procedures.
- Handles phone customer service transactions, demonstrating professionalism in all communications.
- Presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications, and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
- Performs other work duties as assigned.
- Responds promptly to emails and provides answers and guidance.
- Self-motivated, professional, outgoing, and engaging with customers, volunteers, and children of all ages.
- Extends patience, empathy, and kindness to children and adults alike. Values teamwork and collaboration with co-workers, staff, and volunteers.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will live and exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values.
- Maintains expert knowledge and use of computers, Microsoft Office Products, DCL information databases, and learning software.
- Learns new technology that is introduced in the industry and the organization, as needed.
Required Experience and Qualifications: Read, write and speak English required. High School diploma or GED equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree preferred. One year customer service experience required. A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
External Job Ad