Sonoma County Library
Rohnert Park Headquarters
Sonoma County Library
Announces an Employment Opportunity
LIBRARIAN I or II, CHILDREN’S SERVICES – Multiple Locations
40 HOURS PER WEEK – FULL TIME
Do find joy in bringing library service to the community through innovative programs and outreach? Are you most at home in dynamic, busy library spaces where you can use your librarian skills to present storytimes and STEM programs, help community members access technology, and communicate all the library has to offer? If this sounds like you, we are seeking Children’s Services Librarians to be part of our team for the following locations: Central Santa Rosa Library, Petaluma Regional Library and Windsor Regional Library. Spanish Bilingual Skills are preferred. Please complete the required supplemental questionnaire as part of the application process.
Please see the attached job specifications for full details about this position.
TYPICAL TASKS include, but are not limited to:
- Provide excellent customer service to all members of the community.
- Deliver innovative children’s programming such as storytimes, STEM programs, music and movement, book clubs, and more.
- Field questions at the service desk from patrons of all ages, and provide accurate, efficient and courteous responses to reference, reader’s advisory, and patron account inquiries.
- Employ curiosity and empathy as you help community members develop digital literacy skills.
- Perform collection maintenance work such as weeding and identifying items in need of replacement, and collaborating with the Collection Development team to ensure the collection is relevant, current, represents the community, and serves both the entertainment and education needs of the community.
- Work alongside other branch staff to maintain a safe and welcoming space, through explaining library policies and procedures consistently to patrons and fellow staff, and through proactively dealing with issues as they arise.
- Create fun and informative social media content to reach and engage with our digital audience. Craft press releases and other pieces to support the work of the Library’s Marketing Committee and communications staff in promoting library programs and services to the community.
- Be an active and vital part of the highly collaborative part of the Youth Services team and support and be supported by fellow staff throughout the organization.
- If hired at the Librarian II level, the librarian will perform these tasks and will also provide leadership to other staff in accomplishing these, and may also serve as Person-In-Charge when the Branch Manager is absent.
Candidates may be hired at either the Librarian I or Librarian II levels, and those hired at level I will have the opportunity to advance as they progress in their career at SCL.
Education and Experience: Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), Master of Library Science (MLS), or Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS) degree from an accredited college or university. The Librarian II requires two years of appropriate professional experience working as a professional librarian, preferably in a public library. Must have a valid California driver’s license. Spanish Bilingual skills are preferred.
SALARY RANGES: Librarian I - $31.78/hour to $39.68/hour
Librarian II - $33.37/hour to $41.68/hour
CLOSING DATE: 5:00 pm, Wednesday, February 24, 2021
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please go to https://www.calopps.org/sonoma-county-library
to apply. Applications must be complete and submitted by the final filing date in order to be considered. Resumes will not substitute for a completed application.
The application process may contain one or more of the following steps: a supplemental application, written test(s), skills assessment(s), and/or oral examination(s).
RECRUITING PROTOCOL IN RESPONSE TO CORONAVIRUS COVID-19:
Pursuant to California Governor Newsom’s Executive Order N-29-20 issued on March 17, 2020, and all applicable COVID 19 Shelter in Place Orders issued by the Sonoma County Health Officer, the recruiting process including interviews, testing, etc. will be held via teleconference or online, if possible, unless changes occur in the state and/or county health order.
REQUEST FOR ACCOMMODATION: Sonoma County Library will make reasonable accommodations in the recruitment process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you are invited to participate in an examination or interview and have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department at (707) 545-0831 extension 1591 as soon as possible to make arrangements for your accommodation. Requesting accommodations at least 3 working/business days before the scheduled event will help to ensure availability. For further information regarding disability accommodations provided by the Library and related matters, see the Library’s website at https://sonomalibrary.org/accessibility.
Sonoma County Library values diversity, empowerment, community, unity, kindness, connection, and equity. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the recruiting and hiring of staff.
External Job Ad