The Exeter Public Library Board of Trustees seeks an enthusiastic, energetic, and community-focused individual to serve as Library Director.
The Exeter Public Library is located at 773 Ten Rod Rd, Exeter, Rhode Island; Exeter is a rural town located in Washington County, RI with a population of 6,581, whose citizens rely on the library for educational, cultural, and community activities and services.
The library offers a variety of dynamic and engaging programs for adults, children, and families such as story times, book discussion groups, family bingo, hiking club, as examples. Housed in a modern 8400 square foot building, the Library is surrounded by two open fields, including the Chelsea Park playground which was specifically designed and dedicated to accommodating children with special needs.
Currently the Library has approximately 2,000 cardholders and circulates 60,000 items per year. The staff is comprised of two full-time and five part-time employees.
The Library Director works under the direction of a seven (7) member Board of Trustees who are appointed by the Exeter Town Council. The Library works with a supportive and actively engaged Friends of the Exeter Public Library organization.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Managing all aspects of library operations, including personnel matters and staffing schedules, hours of operations, programming, purchasing, financial controls, and the annual library budget
- Managing all library facilities and property to ensure they are properly maintained, clean, and safe, including addressing current and future needs and improvements in accordance with the Library’s 5-Year Strategic Plan
- Submitting all required semi-annual and annual reports
- Working with the RI Office of Library and Information Services and participating in all meetings and appropriate trainings
- Maintaining the Minimum Standards for Rhode Island Public Libraries, and adhering to all local, state, and federal laws, rules, and policies and procedures as they pertain to the Library and diverse populations
- Supervise and evaluate staff based on job description and performance
- Promote and provide professional development and training to staff, and establish regular staff meetings
- Explore and actively pursue grant and other funding opportunities
- Advise and report to the Library Board, providing guidance on critical issues that are affecting or may affect the Library
- Enhance community relations through networking and technology and initiate proactive approaches to generate new ideas and connections
- Cultivate a relationship with the Friends, volunteers, and the community to foster interest in unique and diverse cultural and educational programs
- Articulate and explain the vision and role of the Library, emphasizing the critical contribution of the Library to residents and taxpayers
- Provide a safe and supportive workplace environment that fosters and inspires a culture committed to providing outstanding customer service, promotes diversity, is engaging, recognizes achievement, and encourages teamwork.
- Master of Library Science degree from an accredited American Library Association institution of graduate studies is required.
- Minimum of 5 years professional library experience with 3 years in a supervisory role.
- Experience with computer software packages and online social media platforms
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to the Board, staff and all levels of library constituents
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team with peers, staff, board members, and other town departments
- Proven experience to interact with the public, elected officials, outside organizations and professional associations, including making presentations
- Experience in financial planning to include preparing and administering budgets
- Experience with researching and pursuing grant proposals to fund new or supplementary programs and services. Experience with submitting reports and other documents and maintaining records
Salary, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references postmarked or received no later than March 19, 2021 to:
Exeter Library Search Committee
Exeter Town Clerk’s Office
675 Ten Rod Rd
Exeter, RI 02822
The Exeter Public Library and Town of Exeter is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, or disability.