We're hiring a vibrant, innovative and dynamic librarian to provide outreach services to teens and tweens in Jefferson County. You'll be promoting and providing services beyond the walls of the library, engaging and encouraging positive outcomes for youth in our community. Use your expertise to endorse library services through outreach, connecting with community partners and youth, and developing and delivering programs and instructional sessions to community organizations serving youth throughout the County.
Using the public library's unique role, you'll use your knowledge and experience working with diverse youth and adult supports, out of the box thinking, organizational skills and value innovation, to help youth achieve their full potential. If you're ready to provide excellent customer service and establish productive relationships with community organizations, patrons and staff, then this job may be for you!
The schedule will be flexible, allowing for outreach appointments and programs and will require some evening and weekend hours.
Jefferson County Public Library offers great benefits: Generous paid time off and paid holidays, flexibility to assist in your work/life balance, various benefit and wellness opportunities helping you maintain a healthy lifestyle, a tuition reimbursement program and trainings for personal and professional growth.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Performs moderately to highly complex research activities. Advises patrons and community partners on appropriate materials. Handles difficult questions referred by other Library employees. Refers patrons to community resources and/or other appropriate resources for further information as necessary. Uses high-level customer service skills to determine patron needs. Creates a positive, inviting atmosphere for all patrons. Provides access to resources, including the physical and digital resources of the system. Presents programs classes and workshops and at off-site locations and in libraries. Conducts Library tours and community outreach. Promotes programs to target audiences. Initiates, develops and presents programs and activities, including seasonal programs. Develops and provides library instruction and patron education to the public, individually and in groups.
- CORE LIBRARY SERVICES: Participates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives. Routinely provides direct customer service. Creates access to Library resources both physical and digital. Creates content for website through social media, content management systems and other means in this medium. Assists with evaluating and maintaining the existing collection through recommendations and weeding of materials. Collects and tabulates data. May prepare records and reports. Assists in promoting Library programs and serves as an expert. Identifies program needs. Maintains data pertaining to attendance and program participation.
- DAILY OPERATIONS: Assists in creating a positive and inviting atmosphere. Develops collections and ensures access to all materials both physical and digital in library spaces and off-site. Assumes responsibility for the general appearance and safety of the division and Library service as a whole. Resolves problems as non-routine situations arise. Assumes responsibility for the operations of the Library, in the absence of the manager. Takes appropriate actions for disturbances and other emergencies. Requests facility or equipment maintenance services. Services as Person In Charge on a routine basis for their local location.
- OVERSIGHT: May assist in hiring, assigning, training, mentoring, directing, supervising and evaluating the activities of other staff, volunteers and teen interns. Assists in supervising the collection maintenance of ancillary staff. Ensures adherence to established policies, procedure and standards. Assists and advises subordinates as necessary. Provides guidance and support in daily operations to ancillary staff and volunteers. May coordinate the work and schedules of ancillary of staff and volunteers.
- Persons hired in this position must be able to perform all the essential tasks required by the position. The above statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. JCPL retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential and additional functions of the job at any time without notice.
- Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119, and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology.
Preferred - Master's In Library Science or Library Information Systems
Preferred - One year of public library experience.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Must work days, some evenings and weekends, and minor holidays as required.
- Offer of employment contingent upon criminal history check and education verification.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Human Resources / Job Listings