We’re hiring a forward-thinking Human Resources (HR) professional to be our next Director of People & Culture! Your leadership in the direction, planning and operation of this division at the Library will provide a vision for the administration, management, development, design, communication and representation of JCPL’s HR programs, payroll and total rewards programs. As the leader of the organization’s training, development, and change management efforts, you and your work contribute to the organization meeting our mission, vision and values. Your knowledge and implementation of current laws, trends and innovative strategies for the recruitment, retention and development of a diverse workforce will be essential in supporting an inclusive and collaborative culture that supports JCPL’s desire to be an employer of choice. If you’re ready to lead the Library’s division of People and Culture and the awesome HR team, then this might be the job for you!
Jefferson County Public Library offers great benefits: Generous paid time off and paid holidays, flexibility to assist in your work/life balance, various benefit and wellness opportunities helping you maintain a healthy lifestyle, a tuition reimbursement program and trainings for personal and professional growth.
- HUMAN RESOURCES: Directs and oversees JCPL’s HR programs and services for all employees including recruiting, onboarding, compensation, payroll, benefits, classification, performance management, coaching, disciplinary action, Workers' Compensation, ergonomic evaluations, wellness, and separation in accordance with all applicable laws, guidelines, and regulations. Oversees administration of FMLA, ADA, and medical leaves. Provides leadership and collaboration with others to accomplish the division communication goals and objectives. Collaborates with the County Attorney's Office regarding employment and other legal matters directly affecting JCPL. Directs and oversees an inclusive wellness program for JCPL employees. Provides strategic solutions for staffing within budget guidelines. Reviews and approves staffing changes within budgeted guidelines. Oversees personnel, salary actions and changes for JCPL employees to evaluate and ensure internal equity.
- ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Directs, develops, executes organizational development and change management strategies to align people and processes for the achievement of JCPL’s goals. Oversees the development and implementation of a master training plan to ensure the execution of a comprehensive staff-training program. Supports the Library Executive Director in the development of leadership and cultivation of organizational culture that promotes the mission, vision and values of the organization, creating conditions for JCPL to be an employer of choice. Provides consultant support to internal/external partners and stakeholders to advance diversity, equity and inclusion at the policy level. Facilitates the work of management, leadership teams and team meetings as needed.
- VOLUNTEER & INTERN PROGRAM: Directs and oversees the development and implementation of a comprehensive volunteer and intern program. Ensures that JCPL provides a supplementary volunteer and intern workforce with community volunteers and partnerships with outside agencies, colleges and universities, civic groups and local businesses. Ensures that the JCPL Volunteer & Intern Program supports library programs and services.
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DELEGATE: Approves all personnel actions, payroll submissions and requests to fill a vacancy, tuition reimbursement requests and other certifications as needed on behalf of the Library’s Executive Director.
- FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Develops and monitors the division budget. Works collaboratively with other division directors in the decision-making process regarding the final JCPL budget submission. Researches and implements cost savings where needed. Ensures budget guidelines are met and resources are appropriately allocated in areas of responsibility. Provides input to annual plans, budgets and assists with system-wide initiatives. Directs major projects and system resources with budgetary and decision-making authority over those resources. Assists the Library Executive Director with allocation of resources to effectively deliver on organizational strategy.
- SUPERVISION & MANAGEMENT: Hires, assigns, trains, directs and supervises the division staff as well as temporary staff, volunteers and interns in area of responsibility. Coaches on industry best practices. Administers or makes recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting direct reports including recruitment, orientation, training, setting performance goals, assigning and reviewing work, approving time cards, approving leave, appraising and disciplining, submitting records and documentation as required by Library and Jefferson County Policy. Conducts regular staff meetings with subordinate staff. Communicates changes in policies and procedures to direct reports and implements them as directed. Provides technical guidance and support to ensure conformity with established policies, rules and regulations. Anticipates and solves problems as non-routine situations arise. Promotes professional development and leadership skills among direct reports and teams. Responsible for creating and implementing change management plans and strategies that maximize employee engagement and minimize employee reluctance. Provides leadership towards the Library's mission, vision and values. Serves as a member of JCPL’s Executive Team, Director’s Team and Management Team. Collaborates and coordinates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish JCPL goals and objectives as well as Division goals and objectives. Uses and continually develops leadership skills, participates in on-going development activities, regular trainings as well as attending conferences.
- Persons hired in this position must be able to perform all the essential tasks required by the position. The above statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. JCPL retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential and additional functions of the job at any time without notice.
- Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119, and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology.
Additional Info & Requirements
Professional HR certification must be obtained within one year of date of hire.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Management, Public Administration or related field. Organizational Development and/or Change Management certification.
Required: Resume and Cover letter
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.
Human Resources / Job Listings