CU Boulder's Law Library encourages applications for a Metadata Services Assistant! This role builds and maintains accurate, updated catalog records for materials across formats to meet the academic and research needs of the faculty, staff, student, and public patrons of the Wise Law Library. Additionally, this role creates and maintains bibliographic and authority records, assists in database maintenance, and performs the end processing of materials.
- Catalogs a variety of materials in both physical and electronic formats by examining, verifying, and revising the descriptive, classification, and subject information in OCLC bibliographic records against the actual materials. Applies local practices and national standards to perform this work.
- Determines whether bibliographic records are complete and correct and adds or suggests appropriate subject heading and classification number.
- Edits bibliographic records in the law library’s local database (LAWPAC) and attaches appropriate item records.
- Catalogs and processes gift and/or special collections, reclassifies and relabels previously cataloged materials, performs inventory and shifting projects, and supports database maintenance projects.
- Cross-trains in serials and other technical services functions. Documents and updates policies and procedures.
Original Cataloging and Metadata Creation
- Derives new original OCLC bibliographic records for non-complex monographs (Colorado CLEs, new editions, etc.). Provides accurate descriptive cataloging and chooses appropriate Library of Congress classification numbers and subject headings.
- Creates original brief bibliographic records. Builds and adds metadata to digital repository records.
Authority Record Maintenance
- Reviews lists of new, revised, and incorrect name and subject headings in appropriate sources and identifies and updates the appropriate bibliographic records.
End Processing and Relabeling
- Performs end-processing of all newly cataloged physical materials by producing and attaching labels, stamping identification marks on physical items, and attaching security tags. May train and supervise a student worker to perform these tasks.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Current Colorado residency required.
- Two years of experience performing cataloging or copy cataloging in a library. Appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
What You Will Need:
- Promote an inclusive environment that reflects the broad diversity and backgrounds represented by Colorado Law community members.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MARC fields, subfields, and indicators, and national cataloging standards.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible and adaptable in prioritizing tasks. Ability to meet timelines and follow through on projects and assignments.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment as well as to thrive both independently and as part of a team.
What We Would Like You to Have:
- Experience using OCLC’s Connexion cataloging software.
- Experience using Innovative Interfaces, Inc. (III) or FOLIO library software.
- Experience creating metadata in a library environment.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
As the intellectual heart of the Law School, the Law Library provides a collaborative environment for faculty and students to access legal resources in all formats, and expertise in using them. We also serve the legal information needs of the University community, the bench and bar, the people of Colorado, and scholars throughout the world.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.