Pikes Peak Library District
20 N Cascade Ave, Colorado Springs
Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing services, resources, and programming that support personal growth, research, and information needs and interests throughout the community.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements district-wide adult services activities to meet strategic plan objectives.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and training to adult services staff; serves as an advocate and liaison to other departments.
- Develops, documents, and implements operating procedures for adult services staff; communicates and ensures implementation of Pikes Peak Library District policies.
- Interviews, selects, trains, and develops new staff; provides coaching and corrective action as necessary.
- Conducts performance appraisals and develops goals and activities for individual and group staff development.
- Promotes Pikes Peak Library District adult services within the community; provides recreational, instructional, and educational opportunities for adults of all age groups and interests.
- Evaluates programs, services, partnerships, and initiatives; recommends changes to ensure services meet community needs.
- Develops and oversees adult services budgets; prepares payment documents and monitors expenditures.
- Coordinates and develops training for staff on library resources including databases, reader’s advisory, reference best practices, community outreach/engagement, and services.
- Provides excellent direct customer service and models expert customer service for staff; presents a courteous, positive image of the Library and maintains confidentiality in customer and staff interactions.
- Works regularly on public services desks providing reference service in person, over the phone, and via electronic delivery.
- Manages electronic resources by researching, evaluating, selecting, and implementing new products; discontinues products that no longer respond effectively to customer needs and interests.
- Responds to customer suggestions, comments, and complaints in a timely, professional, and constructive manner.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Evaluates and manages reference collection in coordination with Collection Management.
- Maintains good working relationships with external vendors.
- Keeps informed about library and department information.
- Participates in special projects as assigned.
- Encourages professional development of department staff through participation in community and professional organizations.
- Represents the library district to community agencies and professional library organizations; speaks to interested groups as requested.
- Serves on local, state, national, and international committees; takes an active role in library professional organizations.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled all-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of library services, innovative trends, and best practices.
- Ability to exhibit leadership, sound judgment, and professional demeanor in all situations; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Ability to supervise, plan, and coordinate the work of staff in order to accomplish library goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships within the department, with staff at all levels, community partners, and the public at large.
- Ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, along with standard office equipment.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires a Master’s degree in library science (MLS, MSLIS, MLIS, etc.).
2. Requires a minimum of three years of professional public library experience, including a minimum of two years of supervisory responsibility.
3. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to occasionally stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
(40 hours per week, exempt) - Position # 270120101
DATE POSTED: March 24, 2021
LOCATION: 20 N Cascade Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
STARTING WAGE: $31.54 per hour - $39.40 per hour+ full benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week per the following schedule:
Flexible scheduling based on programming and Library requirements.
Monday – Friday : 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
May have occasional shifts at other PPLD Libraries. Evenings and weekends will be required for programs and other library requirements.
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times, and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. Preference will be given to Application materials received by April 8, 2021 at 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-Verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
Soumya Gollapalli : email@example.com