Overview: The Customer Experience Librarian plans, coordinates and implements library services offered at Douglas County Libraries (DCL). This role has a clear understanding of principles and practices related to public library work, with a chief emphasis on delivery of outstanding service to library customers. This role requires some independence, judgement, and initiative in all areas of responsibility.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
- Takes ownership of the customer experience by embracing innovation and experimentation, seeking out new technologies, looking for new ways to create connections with the community inside and outside of the library, and creating a sense of discovery and magic in the branch.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of professional library principles, including: public reference service expertise, readers’ advisory, collection development, homework help, technology assistance, and presentation skills.
- Provides helpful readers’ advisory services to a wide variety of ages and interests.
- Assists customers in using reference tools, conducting in-depth research, locating materials and managing accounts. Instructs customers on the use of resources across formats and platforms.
- Anticipates trends that will impact libraries, literacy, publishing, and information technology.
- Supports Collection Services with maintaining the merchandising and hand-selling of library materials. Communicates with Collection Services as needed.
- Performs story-times as required, using the ALA Every Child Ready to Read early literacy skills.
- Implements creative ideas and services intended to encourage discovery and interaction with library branches and collections.
- Serves as Person-In-Charge on an as-needed basis in coordination with other branch leaders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Recommends thoughtful change to help DCL stay relevant and vital.
- Identifies training needs and opportunities and collaborates with the Learning & Development department to address.
- Works with branch Community Relations Liaison to create, promote and implement events. Reports evaluations and statistics.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will live and exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values.
- Demonstrates an expert knowledge of the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association.
- Fluency in MS Office, and other industry related software. Ability to learn new software packages quickly and with a high degree of accuracy.
Required Experience and Qualifications: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or related field. A Master of Library Science is strongly preferred. Three or more years’ professional experience is required, preferably in a public library. A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer stations for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
Additional Info & Requirements
Night and weekend availability is required. Locations may vary and be updated if additional vacancies become available.