The Catskill Public Library is searching for a positive, energetic, people-person to fill a Full-Time Youth Services Librarian position.
Our ideal candidate will be friendly, approachable, customer-focused, and open-minded with a genuine passion for working with children and teens. We are looking for someone who can inspire and be inspired; someone who can see the silver lining no matter the situation. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at serving a community that is diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion, and we encourage candidates to highlight relevant experiences in their cover letter.
General responsibilities include:
1. Establishing strong working relationships with coworkers, patrons and community organizations
2. Assisting patrons with all manner of technology
3. Providing reference and reader's advisory services
4. Performing and teaching database searches
5. Designing and producing public relations and library-instructional material
6. Keeping informed of professional developments through literature, system services, workshops, continuing-education opportunities and participation in professional organizations
Youth Services-specific responsibilities include:
1. Advocating for and empowering local youth
2. Planning, implementing and conducting youth programing
3. Evaluating, developing and maintaining children’s and young adult collections as well as selecting, processing and cataloging materials
4. Developing and conducting library tours, presentations and outreach
5. Seeking grant-funding
Skills, Abilities & Personal Characteristics:
1. Knowledge of the modern principles and practices of library science
2. Knowledge of and comfort with computer technology, mobile and hand-held devices and on-line database systems
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with all age groups, skill-levels and temperaments
4. Ability to think critically to understand the needs of library users
5. Ability to function as a team member
6. Ability to work independently
7. Tact and courtesy in dealing with staff and the public
8. Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends
Additional Info & Requirements
1. Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution
2. Eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian's professional certificate at the time of application or possession of certificate at the time of appointment
Benefits include paid vacation, sick time and health insurance contribution.
This is a Civil Service Position.
Please email a cover letter, resume and at least three professional references to Library Director, Sue Ray at YSL2021@catskillpubliclibrary.org Subject Heading: "Youth Services Librarian”
Former applicants may apply.