The West Warwick Public library is in search of a Library Assistant to work in the Youth Services Department. This person should enjoy working with Youth and Families, be flexible and forward-thinking, and have an interest in public service in a team-oriented environment. This position reports directly to the Head of Youth Services and/or the Youth Services librarian.
Description of duties:
- Assists with program set up and clean up as needed.
- Designs and maintains department signs, displays, and bulletin boards.
- Repairs and cleans materials as needed.
- Assists with preparing and facilitating programs as directed by the librarians.
- Provides in-person and telephone assistance to the public.
- Provides coverage in the department.
- Performs some circulation and clerical duties
- Assists with opening and closing of the Youth Department and general supervision of the department.
- Responsible for shelving materials and other tasks designed to keep the collection and department organized.
- Performs general reference and reader’s advisory work, referring in-depth questions and inquiries of a research nature to the Youth Department Head or Youth Services Librarian.
- Assists adults and youth in locating materials and using computers.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and skills:
- Public service or Public Library experience a plus
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to be flexible a must
- Familiarity with Sierra or other Integrated Library Systems (ILS) is preferred.
- Knowledge of children and Young adult materials
- Experience working with children and teens
- Excellent knowledge of computers and technology
- Provide excellent customer service
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Education Level: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Additional education or experience a plus
All Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter to the Head of Youth Services via email at Rashaa@wwpl.org with the subject heading “Youth Services library assistant”. Applications via mail should be addressed to: Rashaa Al-Sasah, Head of Youth Services
1043 Main Street West Warwick, RI 02893