Performs work involving processing, handling and shelving of library materials, as well as refreshing displays enabling patrons and staff to find library materials quickly because the materials are in their correct locations.
- Responsible for ensuring the correct order of materials on the shelves by checking for correct Dewey Decimal or alphabetical order, shifting and straightening materials and filling displays as needed.
- In assigned areas, performs shelf maintenance; monitors condition and appearance of the materials at check-in and during shelf-reading. Communicates to staff librarians the areas of the collection that need to be weeded or need additions.
- Runs daily requests and expired holds lists; searches for and pulls items on holds shelf and in stacks; processes and shelves holds at check-in.
- Empties interior and exterior book drop and checks in books; check in library materials daily by retrieving library materials from collection return bins; enters materials return data; checks in and sorts items delivered by courier; shelves magazines and periodicals.
- Sorts and re-shelves returned library materials daily by arranging materials according to established sequence on book cart and transport materials to appropriate shelves for manual re-shelving.
- Keeps informed of library and departmental information through departmental procedures.
- May assist searching for claimed, returned materials; may contact patrons regarding held items; may occasionally assist library patrons with simple questions while out in stacks; may assist in the training of volunteers.
- Maintain patron confidentiality and perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of computer use; including internet, email, and Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to learn and become proficient with equipment and software programs as required to effectively and efficiently perform assigned duties.
- Must be able to learn circulation system functions and procedures including processing library materials and running reports in Sierra ILS software.
- Must be able to learn and become proficient with proper materials shelving according to library classification and layout.
- Must be able to accurately and efficiently file alphabetically, alphanumerically and numerically.
- Must have the ability to work as a team member and work independently to complete assignments.
- Must be able to provide efficient and courteous patron service towards a diverse patron population.
- Must read, speak, write and understand the English language.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to effectively and courteously communicate and interact with customers and staff members; understand and follow oral and written instructions; deliver high quality work product; deliver services to customers with responsiveness courtesy and tact; and perform repetitive tasks while maintaining a high level of concentration.
Evidence of Qualifications:
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE: High School diploma and six (6) months of general library or materials handling experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides evidence that the applicant possesses the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Lafayette is a thriving and diverse community of approximately 29,000 residents. Encompassing 9.54 square miles at the foothills of the Rockies, Lafayette is located at the southeastern edge of Boulder County, allowing for easy access to Boulder, Denver, Denver International Airport, and the Rocky Mountains. Our community enjoys robust services and amenities, including the Great Outdoors Water Park, an award-winning skate park, the Hale Irwin designed Indian Peaks Golf Course, a senior center, The Collective Community Arts Center, Art on the Street public art program, exciting and diverse events like Art Night Out and the Lafayette Peach Festival, Waneka Lake park and boathouse, 20 community parks, 1,640 acres of open space, 20 miles of trails, Lafayette Public Library, NRPA Gold Medal Award-winning Bob L. Burger Recreation Center, multiple community events, and a vibrant downtown. Lafayette has appeared on numerous national lists of top places to live and raise a family.