Purpose: The Payroll and Benefits Specialist will oversee the organization’s payroll functions, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations. Additionally, this individual is responsible for assisting with the administration of all benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability; and support of PERA Member programs, including retirement contribution reporting, 401(k)/457 plans and PERA life. This employee will be the primary HRIS administrator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors and finance department.
- Enters, maintains, and/or processes information in the HRIS and payroll system; information may include employees hourly rates, salaries, bonuses or other compensation, time worked, paid leave and holidays, deductions and withholding, address changes, and other information.
- Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments and changes in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information. Performs quality checks of benefits-related data.
- Assists employees regarding benefits claim issues and plan changes.
- Distributes all benefits enrollment materials and determines eligibility.
- Enrolls employees with carriers and process life status changes.
- Responds to benefits inquiries from managers and employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
- Responds to PERA and 401(k) inquiries from managers and employees relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts. Manages the annual catch-up contribution enrollment.
- Assists with the open enrollment process and coordinates staff training.
- Administers the tuition reimbursement program.
- Works closely with the Finance department to provide reporting to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll.
- Provides timely and accurate benefits change reports to Finance ensure that benefits invoices are reconciled accurately.
Performs other duties as assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field
- At least 3 years of experience in the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes
- At least 1 year of experience with the employee benefits and applicable laws
- Demonstrated proficiency with payroll software
- Paylocity experience
- PERA experience
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or equivalent certification credential
- Five years of experience with payroll functions
- Three years of experience with employee benefits and applicable laws
A combination of experience and education will be considered
Ability to drive between various branches. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.