The Bemis Library has an opening for a Substitute Circulation Services Clerk to work variable hours including weekdays, evenings, and weekends. This position serves as part of a substitute pool and allows for flexible scheduling.
The Substitute Circulation Services Clerk provides extraordinary customer service to library patrons. They are often the first point of contact for library patrons and are responsible for creating a positive initial impression of the library, resolving questions and issues regarding patron accounts, and providing general information about the library. They are tasked with the efficient and accurate circulation of library materials, which includes the checking in and out of library materials, acquiring and processing reserved items for patrons, arranging library materials on shelving carts, and shelving library materials.
The ideal candidate is a quick learner who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and is not afraid to make mistakes. Exceptional candidates will have strong interpersonal skills, adaptability, an eye for detail, and the willingness and availability to work a variety of shifts. We believe strongly in supporting our staff members in learning and growing professionally and the Substitute Circulation Services Clerk position is a great opportunity to get immersed in library work and become a part of the Bemis Library team.
Work Schedule: This position will be expected to work variable shifts on weekdays, evenings, and weekends. A typical shift is 5 to 8 hours with occasional 2-hour shifts. Subs are expected to work multiple shifts per week/month. If a sub does not work at least one shift during a three-month period, they are automatically removed from the substitute pool and separated from employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greets patrons upon their arrival at the library.
- Checks out library materials to patrons according to established written procedures.
- Answer phones and transfers phone calls to appropriate personnel and/or department.
- Registers patrons for library cards by verifying identification and entering into the integrated library system.
- Collects and deposits fines for overdue, damaged, and lost library materials from library patrons. Updates balance on patron account.
- Contacts patrons regarding damaged or missing library items.
- Resolves problems with patron accounts and explains policies for patrons in a way that is easily understood.
- Ensures displays of library materials are maintained appropriately.
- Retrieves library materials from automated sorter bins and arranges them on appropriate carts in preparation for shelving.
- Monitors the physical condition of the library collection by visually inspecting materials during sorting and shelving; shelves library materials; shifts collection as needed; visually scans shelved materials to maintain the integrity, continuity, and usefulness of the collection.
- Manually checks in library materials when needed.
- Processes reserved items by removing expired reserved items from the hold shelf, generating daily hold reports, locating patrons’ reserved items, and shelving reserved items on the hold shelf.
- Processes and mails overdue and billing statements.
- Processes books for courier to deliver to other libraries.
- Creates and processes “claims returned” and “missing item” reports and conducts searches to locate these items.
- Assists Librarians by using pre-generated lists to remove items from shelves that are being considered for weeding.
- Sells tickets, used books, and other items for the FOLM when needed.
- Performs other related assignments and projects as required.
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent; and
- Requires a minimum of one (1) year of public library experience or two (2) years of previous work experience in a customer service/public contact position; or
- Requires equivalent combination of formal education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
To view the full posting and submit your application, visit:
Applications must be submitted prior to 5pm on 05/19/21 at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/littletonco/jobs/3050972/substitute-circulation-services-clerk
Human Resources Contact:
Cristin Russell, firstname.lastname@example.org