Overall Job Objective
Summary of Job Duties
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $53,046 - $63,651/Annually
The salary range for this position is $53,046 - $74,256/Annually
All applications must include a Cover Letter and Resume.
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We are looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to strengthen our team of talented and valued employees. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect,Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values.
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community.
- 6 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Retirement centers and community events and programs or activities for all ages
- Aurora History Museum
- Aurora Fox Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- The Show Wagon
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Branch Manager oversees professional and support staff in the operation and administration of a library area or facility.
This position will be used to fill two separate openings at the following location(s):
- Mission Viejo/Iliff Square
- MLK Library
***This posting is scheduled to close on June 1st, 2021 at 5:00pm, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Functions as the onsite librarian and is responsible for providing leadership, managing branch staff, including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline, and termination procedures.
- Working with staff to create and implement goals that support the library’s Annual Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Creating staffing schedules and plans.
- Reviewing and analyzing data to reach library output goals, accountable for achieving location’s key results.
- Providing and implementing current policy and procedure, as well as recommendations for future changes.
- Planning, implementing, and overseeing programming for all ages at a branch library.
- Providing daily help to patrons and responding to difficult and complex customer service issues.
- Administering and tracking budgets and expenditures.
- The primary focus for this position is daily operations management and staff supervision, the secondary focus is programming and outreach.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Master’s degree in library science
- At least three (3) years of professional librarian experience
- At least one (1) year of lead or supervisory experience
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Excellent customer service techniques
- Routine software/computer systems including the internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, and inventory/customer transaction systems
- Preference for knowledge of Sierra ILS.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and desire to accomplish system-wide goals and objectives
- Skills in effective decision making
- Innovative approach
- Enthusiastic about change and able to communicate that enthusiasm to staff
- Problem solving skills
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Exercise good judgment in difficult and/or tense situations
- Deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally, appropriate manner
- Use general office equipment, computers, calculators, and copy/fax machine
- Ability to speak a second language a plus
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds
- Frequent pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Considerable walking and standing
- Clear vision to reading and interpreting reports, data analysis and preparation
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of computer and other office equipment
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with shared work stations and equipment
- This job is best suited for someone who likes work on multiple tasks and projects at once, due to working in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of competing interests
- Occasionally works nights and weekends
- Uses standard office equipment including: personal computer; microfilm equipment; multi-line telephones; copy/fax machine
- This position may require the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.
Please click here to apply for this position.
External Job Ad