The Cranston Public Library is seeking an extraordinary candidate for the position of Administrative Assistant at the Central Library. CPL is a nationally recognized award winning library system. The library was awarded the Jerry Kline Community Impact Prize in 2020 and the LibraryAware Community Award in 2016. CPL values a commitment to public service and our mission is to fulfill the needs of our diverse community. Come join our team!
Under the supervision of the Business Manager, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for general office duties in the Library Administration office and functions as the confidential administrative assistant to the Library Director. This is a 35 hour a week union position with some nights required.
The Cranston Public Library is committed to creating and maintaining a staff that gives open expression to the Library’s organizational values and brings a rich diversity of peoples and talents to the accomplishment of the Library’s mission.
The Cranston Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. The Library is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees regardless of race or color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, country of ancestral origin, or other protected class status.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- General office duties
- Answers phone calls in Administrative offices.
- Coordinates public use of library meeting space.
- Schedules meetings and appointments for the Library Director including administration and department level meetings.
- Posts public notice of open meetings.
- Serves as Secretary of the Board of Trustees, attends all board meetings, takes minutes and prepares board information packets.
- Troubleshoots and arranges for service of office equipment.
- Prepares and proofreads correspondence for Library Director.
- Maintains membership database and other records for the Friends of the Cranston Public Library & Cranston Public Library Association.
- Coordinates office supplies ordering and inventory.
- Assists Business Manager with payroll and other accounting functions.
- Offers Notary Public service (Library will pay for training and to maintain notary license for Administrative Assistant)
- Performs other duties as required
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- This position requires a high level of professionalism and confidentiality, exceptional tact, judgment, and discretion.
- Commitment to outstanding public service.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
- Ability to use standard word processing, database and spreadsheet programs including Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
- Ability to write in clear English prose.
- Proficiency in the use and maintenance of office equipment.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
Additional Info & Requirements
Starting Salary of $34,035.66; $35,199.53 after six-month probationary period
Full benefits package including vacation, sick time, dental insurance, health insurance, life insurance and retirement plan.
- Two to three years of secretarial or administrative experience required.
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited two-year college or business school or equivalent experience preferred.
- High School diploma required.
The Cranston Public Library (CPL) system consists of a Central library with five branch locations. CPL serves a population of 80,000 residents and is one of the busiest public libraries in Rhode Island.
For more information on our library please visit: www.cranstonlibrary.org.
External Job Ad
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Edward Garcia, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org Applications received by June 11, 2021 will receive first consideration.